Oct 28, 2010

Senior Relationships

Yesterday I had to get involved in a relationship
I really didn't want to get involved in.
My mother just isn't strong enough to say 'no'.
She has no boundaries and this is prime real estate
for certain types. I can remember when all of a sudden
she was snubbed by all her friends at the senior center.
There was gossip about her but I didn't know what.
Now I know..
Anyways, I had to be the one who thinks clearly and in her
best interest and step in...ugh.
I do not feel I need to defend myself about this family decision.
She has allowed him to do things, like taxes-and
other things that she never-ever
would have trusted someone outside of family to do.
Having Alzheimer, she needs protection.

3 comments:

Joan Price said...

It's my first time reading your blog, so forgive me if I'm not up to date on your mother's condition. Is it that she doesn't have the mental acuity to give consent and someone's taking advantage of her? Or do you just not approve of the guy? Please say more, or point me to a link where you've already discussed this, if you're willing.

Thank you for your caretaking. I know it's difficult and thankless.

Joan Price

Seeking Serenity said...

It was a difficult post,sorry I was vague. My mom has Alzheimer disease-and she, being a child of sexual abuse, has a history of blind obedience to men.
The guy being married,well,some people feel that shouldn't factor in. So I will just leave it that my mother doesn't need a controlling man who just visits her for a roll in bed. my family does not trust him because of antiques he has taken and sold for her-something she would NEVER allow if she weren't ill. My god she wouldn't let me get rid of a paperclip!
that's some of it...

Joan Price said...

Thank you for helping me understand the context. How difficult for you!

You posted a comment on my blog that had nothing to do with the post you were commenting on -- I suspect it was meant as a personal message to me, so I didn't post it. You can find my email address easily from my blog. I couldn't find your email address, so please forgive me for posting this personal message here.

Best,
Joan