Oct 26, 2015

Saw Father Today

So I packed my bag with sodas and my laptop to look at photos.
Brought a doll I had made, and stuff to clean his hearing aids/ears.
Saw him and realized I was out of the loop.
He was sleeping and barely recognizable.
Unshaved and frazzled longish hair
frail and weak, nasty rotten teeth.
I lay with him on the bed and showed him various family pics and my cat..
They brought him a nice looking lunch and he (as usual)
said he wasnt hungry.
He asked to get a breath of fresh air so I got the wheelchair
 figured out the urine bag and hung it on the chair.
When we got outside I pushed him over to the tables and chairs
and I sat down.
He immediately began insisting I take him for a drive and proceeded
to try to roll up the ramp to the parking lot. Being so frail he was having quite
a struggle and I sat there for a minute allowing him to get some
exercise- then realized he might roll back, so I went and assisted him
to the top. "I wanna go for a drive! where's your car"
I sat down in a parking space.
You see, he did this with my sister
and she handled it incorrectly and tried to drive off with him like this
and he threw a fit and she had to have staff come get him.
So, I replied "I cannot do that", and sat there.
which was true- I couldnt, and I really dont think he could even get into
a car.
So, after a while we went back down the ramp because he didnt like me
sitting on the cold ground.... we sat for a bit and I tried to get him to enjoy
the fall colors and blue sky, but he was distracted...
I have to say,
neither of my parents are really 'there' any more,
all they want to do is GO.

1 comment:

CAROLDEE said...

I do hear you when you say all they want to do is GO..in their mind, so confused, they just want to be back the way they were I guess. We hate to part with them here on this earth but when they do GO HOME they will be so much more at peace. Great photos...