When I found mom today she was attempting to pick up
someones oxygen machine to hold it to her ear like a phone.
For the next hour at lunch she held her hand to her ear and
had a "phone" conversation with no one.... answering questions
and "listening" intently while she ate.
I felt pretty left out as she wouldnt even look at me.
Another woman was having a conversation with no one
so i joked and said they were on the phone together.
Others at the table laughed.
I finally got the "phone" out of her hand by offering her a drink
and then occupied the hand with a cookie.
She was really cold and congested so i got her a sweater and told
the nurse who took her temp. and listened to her lungs and heard nothing.
I also pointed out her terribly sausaged legs from the support sock wrinkles.
After lunch she got up and said "I dont feel well" and that she was tired
so I got her tucked warmly into a chair to nap.
More items were missing from her room and her drawers were
practically empty.
A little smile of comfort

2 comments:
When you mention the missing items, was it your mom moving/hiding the stuff or was it other people like the staff of the facility taking the stuff? If it was the staff, I really don't understand why they take the residents stuff away. Like it's their personal things! Id feel violated if I knew someone was coming in my room and taking my stuff. If it's not dangerous or triggering to the person, I don't understand why they do that. Especially because I feel like having your own pieces of home with you would make moving to a facility such as that much easier if you couldn't live independently anymore.
oh believe me when they go into a home things get lost in the laundry- or as in moms case residents even mom go rummaging in dressers - the closets are locked most of the time though
Post a Comment