The other day my mother got a christmas card from her son.
The return address was from Ohio, her home state.
She has an obsession with 'going home' and once again this
was triggered.
She started getting really sad and upset asking questions
about dead relatives and wanting to go home...
I felt kind of bad as I sneaked her only christmas card away
and hid it in my bag....
Sometimes you just have to do things to remove the source of
agitation or sadness, even if it goes against 'logic'.
This is also why I changed the address of all her mail to come to
me even though she asked about bank statements and bills.
She didnt understand them and it would cause her great distress.
***************************************************
Her language and understanding has really gone downhill this
year. I am always astounded what she thinks I said when she
repeats it back to me.
Things like "ear on my ankle" . I swear, no wonder they look at
you like "wut?" but they cannot say "I didnt understand you".
So they sit there in a daze.
1 comment:
Oh, I can relate to that last part about language. I have to remind myself to look out of the box so to speak. Yesterday at the hospital my mum was uncomfortable in her bed. She kept saying she wanted the side rail down, the one near her head, and I kept saying that it had nothing to do with her comfort, it was to keep her from falling out of the bed. Somehow I finally figured out that she wanted the head of the bed lowered, not the side rail. Meanwhile I am reading the sign that says to help prevent pneumonia, the patient should be upright at at least 30 degrees. Anyway, I lowered the head of the bed.
Post a Comment