Feb 27, 2013

Alzheimer's To The Dentist

Mother lost a filling in January.
Yesterday I took her to the dentist. She did NOT want to go because she didn't feel anything wrong and (of course) doesn't trust doctors.
I told her she had a cavity, a lie she could understand, and that you cannot feel a cavity but you need to take care of it or you will lose your tooth.
This was easier than trying to explain a crown which she would have vehemently resisted.
Anyways, the only problem I faced was when the Dr was not in the room.
She would become agitated saying he had left the building.
So, we played games-
The running game- "Running Away" by kicking ones legs laying on dentist chair.
(We do this sitting down too, running in place.)
It satisfies the want to leave.
Stretch & touch - Both of us reaching forward and touching the other's finger-tips, one arm at a time.
Magazine, TV...
Singing a tune and changing the words to be silly.
She sings "Animal Crackers in my soup"
and I sing something about not wanting animal poop in my soup.
Anyways, because she was doing well we decided to go for it and create/install crown in one sitting instead of bringing her back again.
Made her soup for dinner.
We will see how she does.



2 comments:

CAROLDEE said...

You are amazing.. I admire your patience with her and helping her understand. I hope she is free of pain. :-)

Haphazardkat said...

Ditto to what Caroldee said. You truly are amazing.