Oct 24, 2011

Dealing with Not Wanting to go to Doctors

My mother does not want to do Anything for her health beyond taking vitamins and exercise. This would be fine but she has very thin bones and dementia.
So, when it came to needing bloodwork I said we were going for a cholesterol test which she went along with. She does not want to go to the doctors for a check-up so I said we were going to get her ears cleaned. (She is getting them cleaned)
It is difficult forcing someone who used to be your parent to do things they do not want to. Especially when they believe they are quite capable of living on their own and do not understand why or how they ended up where they are. All she knows is that she wants OUT of her apartment.

1 comment:

Mildred Ratched said...

The decline is cruel for both the caregiver and the person declining. I often wonder if I'll have enough strength to go the distance...time will tell.