Sep 19, 2011

Alzheimer Progression Signs

One of my first indications that her disease was progressing was that this person who believed in all natural cooking from scratch was buying frozen dinners. She was cooking them in a toaster oven and I would find burnt pots soaking in the sink.
 Then there was all the 'repeat' buying. Tons of uneaten chocolates, cabinets full of untouched foods she couldn't remember how to cook (like rice), shampoo,cream rinse, moisturizers overflowing.
And dangerous food handling- like defrosting frozen vegetables in a rotten mess , Defrosting natural "Keep frozen" foods- I would find rotten and grey preservative free hotdogs in the refrigerator. Of course she would NOT believe there was anything wrong with the food.
She forgot how to color her hair after 40 years and decided it looked fine grey.
She used to balance my older sister's checkbook as well as her own,but suddenly couldn't.
It was also then that she lost a lot of weight.
Everyone said that people lose weight when they get old and would not listen to me when I brought it up.
One day, I took her to the grocery store and she took off without me, as though I wasn't even there.

No comments: